Wednesday 30 October 2013

Get What You Always Wanted for Christmas

What I Always Wanted

Regular readers of this blog will know that I like to do my best to promote and support independent UK designer/makers so I was delighted to discover two ladies after my own heart: Ann Ellison and Deborah Bancroft, founders of What I Always Wanted - a new(ish) online shopping platform, showcasing 'beautifully designed and crafted British made gifts and homeware'.

The success enjoyed by Holly Tucker and Sophie Cornish, founders of Not On The High Street, has led to a flurry of online marketplaces opening up, each in support of British artisans and each offering unique gifts and hand-crafted products. 
Launched in May 2012, What I Always Wanted is one such site. While its primary function is similar to that of Not On The High Street, it doesn't have the (rather intimidating) quantity of sellers.  Instead, there are - for the moment at least - 50 or so carefully selected craftspeople from all over the UK.  With many of the designers exclusive to their site, you are bound to discover something you always wanted but couldn't find.

Not On The High Street has grown in to a one-stop shop for stylish, unique gifts and, if the trend for handmade craft continues, it is likely to face some stiff competition from the WIAW ladies.  

With Christmas just around the corner you can avoid the usual high street pandemonium and find everything you want without leaving the comfort of your up-cycled armchair. 

Here's what's on my wishlist:




What I Always Wanted
Hemlock tea towel, £12 - Annabel Perrin





What I Always Wanted
Outline vase, £84 - This Is Pewter


What I Always Wanted
Ronnie & Frank cushion, £40 - Yoke



What I Always Wanted
Fishbone necklace, £30 - Behind the Showcase


Photos courtesy of What I Always Wanted.